Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Great Divorce

These days I am listening to about as many books as I read. I just finished listening to C.S. Lewis' The Great Divorce on my iPod. Wow. I love reading, but sometimes the audio version surpasses the mysterious glory of "shadows on paper." Reader Robert Whitefield's accents are spot-on, most noteably his George MacDonald Scots-brogue. This master exposé of modern idols has long been one of my favorite reads (I've read it at least once a year for several years running), but I will probably swap reading for listening, at least for a few trips around the sun. You can download the audio version at Audible.com or purchase a CD here.

Another audio masterpiece is Lewis' Screwtape Letters read by John Cleese of Monty Python fame. Cleese's accent and delivery make one wonder whether he is reading the book or channeling the demon-spirit of uncle Screwtape.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lewis must be in the air. I'm reading Suprised bu Joy and savoring it. Gotta Love Jack.

Anonymous said...

wow...I just completed The Great Divorce on my IPod as well about 4 minutes ago. I love how he brings to life common, yet nonetheless anti-graceful, traits of pride and selfishness. To think that this was written over 50 years ago... it's amazing how often I hear conversations similar to ones that the ghosts were having. Right in my own head.