Saturday, December 27, 2008

Movie Musing: Seven Pounds


I recently saw the Will Smith's new movie Seven Pounds. I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who has not yet seen the movie, so I will limit my comments at this time to a general observation. This movie is a profoundly sad description of life apart God, from grace and from forgiveness. And a poignant reminder that those who refuse to live in the Kingdom where there is kindness for the undeserving, must needs live in the kingdom where only the deserving are blessed. And for the record, the latter kingdom is a place where I could not survive even for a moment. As a metaphor for God's Kingdom the movie fails miserably. But as a foil for the Kingdom of Heaven it succeeds marvelously. Since seeing Seven Pounds I have been wonderfully provoked to thankfulness for God's "amazing grace" not by what the movie gave me, but rather by what it could not possibly give me.

No comments: